Female Sexual Dysfunction Linked to Sexual Problems in Men
Men whose female partners have sexual dysfunction are likely to have sexual problems themselves, according to the results of a recent review and meta-analysis in the Journal of Sexual Medicine.
Erectile dysfunction (ED) and premature ejaculation (PE) were especially associated with female sexual dysfunction, the authors said.
Past studies have investigated the effects of men’s sexual problems on women’s sexual function. However, less is known on how a woman’s sexual dysfunction might affect her male partner’s sexual function.
- The research team analyzed 26 papers on the subject published between 2006 to 2019. The studies took place in 16 countries across the world and involved 15,094 participants (2,810 men with an average age of 34 and 12,284 women with an average age of 32).
- Meta-analyses showed that male sexual dysfunction “increased 3 times following exposure to [female sexual dysfunction].”
- In addition, incidence of ED was 3.8 times higher in men whose female partners had sexual dysfunction. Low desire, poor arousal, and pain were the female difficulties most commonly linked to ED.
- Similarly, incidence of premature ejaculation was 2.5 higher in this group of men. However, there was “limited evidence” on which female sexual dysfunction domains were more likely to be associated with PE.
- Analyses of other sexual parameters, including low desire, orgasm difficulties, and avoidance had mixed results. Further research was recommended.
There was not enough data to suggest a causative relationship between female sexual dysfunction and male sexual dysfunction. However, several possible explanations were offered. For example, relationship dynamics, differences in the sexual response cycle, degree of sexual stimulation, situational factors, and health concerns may all play roles.
The authors encouraged healthcare providers to screen for sexual problems in men whose female partners have sexual dysfunction and to follow an interdisciplinary approach when treating them.
- The Journal of Sexual Medicine - “The Association Between Female Sexual Dysfunction and Sexual Dysfunction in the Male Partner: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis”
Chew, Poh Yih, MD, et al.
(Full-text. Published: December 8, 2020)