Tarek Anis, Egypt
I graduated from Medical School, Cairo University, Egypt, and completed a 4 year residency/internship training program in Andrology (Sexual Medicine, Male infertility, and Sexually Transmitted Diseases). In 1990, I obtained a doctorate degree in Andrology and was appointed as a lecturer in the Department of Andrology and Sexual Medicine at Cairo University the following year. Since 1993, I have maintained an independent practice in Cairo, specializing in men’s health. In year 2000, I was appointed as a professor of Andrology and Sexual Medicine at Cairo University. In 2008 I was appointed as a member of the Supreme Council of Egyptian Universities, which is responsible for promoting the faculty members of Egyptian Universities to various academic positions.
I have been a member of the ISSM since 1998 and have attended and contributed to every ISSM scientific meeting and many regional society meetings during that time. I promoted sexual medicine and the ISSM in Africa and the Middle East, and I have contributed to many of its activities through out the years. During this time I have achieved much from membership of the ISSM including a sense of belonging to a large group of physicians with a shared interest in sexual medicine and the development of close scientific bonds and friendships with colleagues from every corner of the globe. I now feel that I need to repay the debt by serving the ISSM and its members.
As a board member, I shall help prepare and advocate a roadmap for the future development of ISSM. I will, if allowed, become involved in expanding the ISSM international reach. We must promote Sexual Medicine in other regions beyond our current hotspots of Europe, North and Latin America. This is of special relevance to Africa, the Middle East, China, India, and Russia.
Continuing Medical Education (CME) is another area of interest that should be focused upon. I will support, if elected, the development and the implementation of CME activities, especially in countries lacking them.
I further believe that the role of the ISSM should include improving public awareness of sexual health problems and ways to prevent and treat them. I will, if elected, help develop public awareness material in different languages especially on the ISSM web site. PASSM has a very informative public awareness web site in Arabic language, which can be used as a model for the development of similar sites in various other languages.
It should go without saying that we need to work tirelessly on fund raising. With the size of our organization, we should be able to target large donations from the industry and charitable trusts, as well as explore other sources of funds.
My Contributions to Sexual Medicine
- Founder of the Pan Arab Society for Sexual Medicine (general secretary 2000 - 2006, President 2007 - to date). The society has delegates from 21 Arab speaking countries.
- ISSM Member at Large (2010 - to date)
- Served for many of the ISSM committees (scientific committee, 3 terms, prizes committee, 3 terms, communication committee, 2 terms)
- Member of the ISSM publication committee (2006 - to date), which is supervising the JSM as well as the ISSM new publications (Sexual Medicine and Sexual Medicine Reviews)
- Member of the scientific committee of the ISSM meetings (Cairo, Brussels and Soul)
- President of The 3rd Biennial Conference of The Pan Arab Society for Sexual Medicine (Dubai 2007)
- President of The 4th Biennial Pan Arab Congress for the Sexual Medicine (Cairo 2009)
- Founder and member of the steering committee of the Middle East Society for Sexual Medicine (2010-2011)
- Member of the JSM editorial board (2007 - to date)
- Member of Paris international consultation for sexual medicine (2009)
- Editor in chief of Sexual Health Update (2005 - 2009), an international literature review service, published quarterly, containing a comprehensive review of medical publications related to the field of sexual medicine.
- Editor in chief of Sexual Health website www.passm.org an Arabic website providing knowledge about sexual health for the public
- Coauthor of more than 30 book chapters on male sexual health in English and Arabic languages
- Teaching, conducting research and supervising theses of sexual medicine for the last 20 years as a professor of Andrology and Sexual Medicine in Cairo University
- Reviewer for numerous journals on the subject of male sexual dysfunction
- The chief editor of “Heath for Life”, a public awareness news bulletin, published in Arabic, English, and French languages and distributed through out the Middle Eastern African countries.
- Launched 3 campaigns for public awareness about sexual health in the Arab world and one campaign against female genital mutilation.