Luiz Otavio Torres, Brazil
I studied Medicine at the Federal University of Minas Gerais, Brazil, and in 1983, during my graduation, I made part of my training in general surgery in Lausanne, Switzerland (Centre Hopitalier Universitaire Vaudois). Just after finishing the residence in Urology I stayed from June 1988 until October 1989 making my post graduation in Paris (Centre Medico-chirurgical de la Porte de Choisy), Barcelona (Fondacion Puigvert) and Cleveland (Cleveland Clinic Foundation). At this time I began working in the field of Sexual Medicine: in 1995 I became Master in Urology by the Universidade Federal de São Paulo with a work in this area.
I’m very productive in this field being the author of many publications in international Journals and papers presented in Brazilian and international meetings. I’m the author of the book “Patologia e Terapia Sexual” (Pathology and Sexual Therapy) as also the author of many book chapters.
I was one of the organizers of the 2nd Brazilian Consensus on ED and Sexuality and of the 1st Latin American Consensus on ED and Sexuality, being one of the Editors of both proceedings.
I participated actively in the last 2 World Consensus on Sexual Medicine, held in Paris in 2004 and 2009.
I participated in numerous international clinical trials in the Sexual Medicine field being graduated by Harvard International in Good Clinical Practices (GCP).
I’m an international speaker – fluent in Portuguese, English, French and Spanish - with many conferences and lectures in more than 20 different countries.
- Head of the Department of Andrology of the Brazilian Society of Urology (2001-2002)
- President of the Brazilian Society of Urology – section Minas Gerais (2006-2007)
1) Member of the Executive Committee of SLAMS(1997-2001)
2) Chairman of the VI Latin American Congress of Impotence held in Rio de Janeiro in 2001
3) Treasurer of SLAMS (2001-2003)
4) President of SLAMS (2003-2005)
5) Member ex officio of SLAMS since 2005
6) One of the organizers of the last 6 SLAMS meetings as also of the next one in 2013.
7) Ex member of the By Laws Committee of ISSM
8) Member of the Standards Committee of ISSM
9) Member at large of ISSM elected for the period 2006-2010 and re-elected 2010-2014
I have a huge experience in running societies as also organizing meetings. ISSM has been my “mother-society” for many years and I’m sure I can contribute a lot for the structure and organization of this Society for the next years. I am very involved in the Society and I took part of many projects and decisions of ISSM. As being very active I have personal good relationship with many colleagues in this field all around the world what is very important when we think in someone getting the position of Secretary General of ISSM. So, I’m sure I can be very helpful in the development of ISSM, reassuring its position as world leader organization. I put together many characteristics to be the Secretary General of ISSM, associated to the commitment of working hard for the Society.