Sexual Health Q&A

How is BPH treated?

If a man has mild prostate enlargement, there may not be treatment right away. The condition should be monitored by a urologist.

For more serious cases, treatments include:

  • Medications. Alpha-adrenergic blockers (Cardura, Flomax, Hytrin, and Uroxatral) and alpha-reductase inhibitors (Avodart and Proscar) are often prescribed to treat BPH.
  • Heat treatments. Surgeons use high temperatures to reduce prostate size.
  • Laser treatments. Lasers can shrink or vaporize prostate tissue.